Monday, January 10, 2011

Shining a little Light on the subject

For the past few months I have been searching for the perfect lamp for our living room. I love searching for the perfect piece and the excitement you feel when you find the perfect one. I didn't want anything too matchy matchy. We have no over head lighting in the space and so we really rely on our lamps. I picked up this gem a couple of weeks ago when we were out of town at a consignment shop. The price was right. Take a guess?
Here is the before picture. I loved the glass color and it worked well with the new couch. The lamp shade was in great condition but lacked character.
I loved the base. All it needed was a good wash.

As I was washing the base I realized that it had the option of lighting up the red glass with a small 4 watt bulb. It really shows off the beauty of the red cut glass well when lit up. Love it!
So I knew I wanted to add a little something to the shade. Mom gave me the idea to add the french touch with writing on the shade. I love the french look that is popluar right now. My writing on the other hand, not very impressive.
I then remembered I had an old bound letters box that I had found a couple of years ago on the Junk Jaunt that was full of old accounting and western union telegraphs .
I picked out a few of my favorite pieces and pulled out the good ole modge podge.
Here's the end result. Notice the the lit base?

I could have covered the whole lamp shade but I liked it the way it was so I stopped.
It's the perfect light to read with.
Just thought I would add a picture of my favorite book. :)
Oh...I forget to tell you the best part. Total cost of this project. $3.50
Woo Hoo!
Blesssings
Roxanne

3 comments:

leah - moxiethrift on etsy said...

I really like that lamp! I think it looks fabulous with your additions. I tend to over crazy with modge podge, so I probably would have ended up doing the whole thing just so I could use more of it.

Anonymous said...

Hi!! When is prom this year? Are the girls getting super excited about Italy yet? Sending our love from Sidney!

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

Thanks for your kind words about my sister's shower!
Angela,
Parisienne Farmgirl