Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4th Food

I read all of these wonderful titles... ingenious to be exact. And all I can come up with is 4th of July food? Sorry people. Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing blogging but truly if you put up with the lame writing... the pictures and the food is so worth it.
I have always wanted to make a flag cake and this was the year we accomplished it. It was a family effort and so much fun.We had so many laughs as we did this cake. The recipe is from the Barefoot Contessa so you know it's going to be good. The cake was a sour cream cake and the frosting... only a pound of butter in it's deliciousness. Thankfully there were so many people celebrating with us that I was not "burdened" to bring any home with me. Only one piece for me. Well maybe two but who's counting.
Here are my beautiful girls slaving away. We also had a high school friend of mine drop by during the baking process which made it even more special. I hadn't seen her since the passing of a dear friend and so it was good to have something joyous to talk about. Not saying the water works didn't flow though. They did but they were healing.
And now for the main attraction. Lances AMAZING cream can.
Do you see all of that mouth watering food? Brats, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, corn on the cobb all cooked together in an old cream can.
Now remember I am blog illiterate and so these pictures are the process of the cream can backwards. Surprise! I promise to try to take a tutorial someday.
Here is the honey pushing down on the lid to close it.
The lovely ladies cutting up all of the Delicious goodness
The can is over 2/3rds full. Waiting for the brats.
We had smoked brats, chicken brats, fancy cheese brats. They are put in last so as they cook their yummieness drips out all over the veggies to flavor them just right.

Hope you enjoyed and thanks for stopping by.
Blessings
Roxanne

2 comments:

Carry Grace said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It looks like ya'll ate really well on the 4th!

Risa said...

This looks like a lot of fun! I am wondering if that store you love Sandhill Sage is going to be open for Labor day? My mom is coming to visit and I'm looking for craft sales and fun shopping ideas for her and I.